ABET's volunteers are the heart of its operations and the face of quality in today's technical higher education. More than 2,000 dedicated technical professionals - faculty, deans, department heads, industry leaders, government representatives, and private practitioners - donate their time and effort to ABET each year.
Most ABET volunteers begin their service as program evaluators (PEVs). Program evaluators play a vital role on ABET's review teams who visit college campuses and evaluate programs seeking accreditation.
Prospective program evaluators must meet the following minimum qualifications:
1. Demonstrated interest in improving education.
2. Membership in one or more ABET Member Societies or willingness to become a member prior to applying to serve as a program evaluator. (Computing professionals: Membership in or willingness to join ACM or IEEE/CS fulfills this minimum qualification.)
3. Formal education and recognized distinction in their field.
4. Degree appropriate to the field.
5. Experience with accreditation processes and/or quality improvement processes.
6. Internet and e-mail access and proficiency in using word processing programs (compatible with Microsoft Word and Word Perfect), spreadsheets, and PDF files.
7. Other minimum qualifications as required by ABET’s member societies.