To help commemorate 2021 Engineers’ Week, we’re holding a contest for our members. Each day during that week (February 22-26) the SAE Membership Team will pose questions around the theme of Urban Air Mobility in the Open Forum discussion group. You'll have the opportunity to reply with a written response or a video. The Membership Team will select a winner every day. The daily winners will receive a $100 digital Amazon giftcard…and then a Grand Prize of a $500 digital Amazon giftcard will be awarded to the best overall answer out of the daily winners.
Monday: What are the main challenges for fully automated/autonomous UAM? How will it evolve with a mixed fleet of manned and unmanned aircraft? To answer today's question, go to this discussion thread here.
Tuesday: New technologies and capabilities, which do not perfectly fit to the existing rules and standards, are being proposed. Engineers want standards and guidance for those technologies, but they are also developing the technologies before the standards. How do engineers overcome the challenge developing new technologies/capabilities for which existing rules don’t adequately apply and also the standards, which can help shape the rules? What are the risks and how will the products enter the market (prior to standards or after standards)? To answer today's question, go to this discussion thread here.
Wednesday: How much are we having to start from scratch, and how much are we able to use existing work - or share efforts across various other aircraft types? To answer today's question, go to this discussion thread here.
Thursday: How would the certification environment be different for eVTOL aircraft without standards? Would it be possible? To answer today's question, go to this discussion thread here.
Friday: In which order will the following fly first for revenue service and approximately how time is needed for the others to follow? Unmanned aircraft with cargo payload, Unmanned aircraft with package payload, Manned eVTOL with passenger payload, Unmanned eVTOL with passenger payload. To answer today's question, go to this discussion thread here.
- Eligibility: All winners must be a current, paid SAE International Student or Professional Member.
- Members may only post one response to each question per day.
- There is no limit to the number of winning entries (i.e., members may win more than one gift card).
- Entries for Monday, February 22 must be posted by 11:59 p.m. EST. Winner will be announced on Tuesday, February 23.
- Entries for Tuesday, February 23 must be posted by 11:59 p.m. EST. Winner will be announced on Wednesday, February 24.
- Entries for Wednesday, February 24 must be posted by 11:59 p.m. EST. Winner will be announced on Thursday, February 25.
- Entries for Thursday, February 25 must be posted by 11:59 p.m. EST. Winner will be announced on Friday, February 26.
- Entries for Friday, February 26 must be posted by 11:59 p.m. EST. Winner will be announced on Monday, March 1.
- All winners will be chosen by a majority vote of SAE International staff. The odds of winning depend on the number of entries posted.
- Winner Notification: All winners will be announced on Member Connection and on various other SAE International media channels and communications. Staff will contact winners by email or telephone to verify mailing address.