SAE Student/Young Professional Technical Paper Competition
This competition will provide SAE Student Members and Young Professional Members (SAE Members age 34 and younger) with the opportunity to gain exposure and recognition in the mobility field. All approved papers will be published by SAE, but in addition, four winners will be selected by SAE’s Competition Review Panel from the two highest scored student and two highest scored young professional papers. The winners of the competition will receive an all-expenses-paid trip to SAE Innovations in Mobility and the opportunity to present their work alongside other industry experts.
Not only will the winners be given the chance to network with some of the top industry professionals, but all participants with published papers will be able to enhance their resumes with a major industry accomplishment, thereby gaining a competitive edge with potential recruiters.
SAE will be accepting technical paper offers for the following automotive technology areas:
- Industrial Internet of Things
- Industry 4.0
- Augmented and Virtual Reality
- Factory Automation and Robotics
- Additive Manufacturing
- Non-Metallics (g., polymers, composites, plastics, elastomers, etc.)
- Metallics (e.g., ferrous, non-ferrous, specialty alloys, powders, etc.)
- High Temperature Materials
- Hybrid and Electric powertrain
- Battery Technology
- Battery Charging
- Range Extenders
- Transmissions and Drivelines
- All-Wheel Drive
- Fuel and Engine Optimization
Automated/Autonomous and Connected Vehicles
- Sensors (LIDAR, RADAR, cameras, etc.)
- Sensor Fusion
- Sensor Data Collection
- HD Mapping
- Internet of Things
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Wireless Communication
- Vehicle/Fleet Deployment Strategies
- Validation, Certification, and Testing
- Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
- Active Safety
- Occupant Protection
- Smart Cities
- Transportation Infrastructure and Research
- Urban Air Mobility
You must be an active SAE Student Member or SAE Professional Member (18 to 34 years old) at the time of abstract submission.
- Student candidates: Full-time college/university student (at least 13 credit hours per semester) pursuing studies leading to any associate’s, bachelor’s, or doctoral degree
- Young professional candidates: Professionals age 34 and younger who have a qualified college or university degree in engineering; or have the required equivalent years of technical education and professional technical experience: or have distinguished service and noteworthy accomplishments.
Abstracts must be submitted online to only one session. Offered papers shall not have been previously published; and if accepted, contributors will not release their paper for publication through other media. The following information will be required during the online submission process:
1. A summary that states the objective of the paper/presentation
2. Tentative title
3. Name of the author and co-authors and all contact information.
4. Selection of the most appropriate technical session
Please click here to submit.
The following conditions and deadlines apply:
- Paper acceptance will be based on organizer moderated peer review of a review ready manuscript.
- Refer to the author resources site at sae.org/ participate/volunteer/author for other useful information in preparing your paper.
- Portal for submission of abstracts will be open on January 1, 2019
- Abstract submission period: January 1 through March 25, 2019
- Review Ready Manuscripts due to session organizers May 6, 2019
- Final Manuscripts and copyright assignment due to SAE August 19, 2019
Upon submission, you will receive an automatic reply with your paper offer number. If you do not receive a paper offer number at that point, please retry online submission or contact Nori Fought at email@example.com.
All accepted manuscripts will be reviewed and scored based off of the standard SAE review process and expectations:
- Archival value
The SAE Membership Team will contact the selected winners by Aug. 30, 2019, via email/and or phone to invite them to present their papers at Innovations in Mobility. Attendance at the event must be confirmed by Sept. 9, 2019, upon which a press release will announce the four winners. If confirmation of attendance is not received by the Membership Team, your spot will be forfeited and given to the next highest scored paper in your category.