Terms & Conditions For Use Of The SAE Website
By accessing, using or downloading/uploading any materials from/to this Site, you agree to these Terms and Conditions. In addition, you agree to the applicable Supplemental Terms by accessing, using, downloading materials from or uploading materials to that Additional Service.
- Copyrights. Unless otherwise noted, all information, text, articles, data, images, documents, software or other materials (collectively, "Materials") contained on any page within this Site are copyrighted by SAE or a third party (collectively, "IP Holder"). Title to copyright in the Materials will at all times remain with the IP Holder. You may only use, download or copy the Materials contained in the Site in accordance with the Terms and Conditions. Any permitted copies of the Materials must retain the copyright notice, and any other proprietary notices contained in such Materials. Unless otherwise provided in the Terms and Conditions, you may not edit, modify, adapt or make use of the Materials without the express, prior written consent of SAE. You may not use any content contained in the Materials in any manner that may give a false or misleading impression or statement as to SAE, the IP Holder, or any third party referenced in the Materials. Nothing on this Site shall be construed as conferring any license under any IP Holder's intellectual property rights. You agree to use the Site and the Materials and services and products on the Site or accessible via the Site only for lawful purposes. SAE MAY REVOKE ANY OF THE FOREGOING RIGHTS, AS WELL AS ANY ACCESS AND USE AUTHORIZATIONS GRANTED TO USERS OF THE SITE AT ANY TIME. Except as specifically provided in these Terms and Conditions (including any applicable Supplemental Terms), any reproduction, distribution, replication or retransmission of any information contained on this Site without the prior written consent of SAE is strictly prohibited.
- Liability Disclaimers & Limitations.
- DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. THE CONTENTS OF THIS SITE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE MATERIALS, ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," AND SAE MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OF ANY KIND WITH RESPECT TO THIS SITE OR ITS CONTENTS. SAE DISCLAIMS ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, COMPLETENESS AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
- DISCLAIMER OF ACCURACY. SAE DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE INFORMATION ACCESSIBLE VIA THIS SITE IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE OR CURRENT. SAE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO ADD TO, CHANGE OR DELETE ITS CONTENT OR ANY PART THEREOF WITHOUT NOTICE. ANY PRICE OR AVAILABILITY INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. ADDITIONALLY, THIS SITE MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THIRD PARTIES, WHICH INCLUDES, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE DOCUMENTS AND SOFTWARE. SAE MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, TRUTH, QUALITY, SUITABILITY OR RELIABILITY OF SUCH INFORMATION. THE SAE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ERRORS, OMISSIONS, OR INACCURACIES CONTAINED IN ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED BY SUCH THIRD PARTIES.
- LIMITATION ON LIABILITY. NEITHER SAE NOR ANY OF ITS MEMBERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVES WILL BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THIS SITE OR ANY INFORMATION, PRODUCTS OR SERVICES CONTAINED HEREIN, WHICH INCLUDES, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE MATERIALS, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY THEREOF. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY APPLIES TO ALL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOSS OF DATA, INCOME, PROFIT OR GOODWILL, LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY AND CLAIMS OF THIRD PARTIES.
- LIMITATION ON LIABILITY OF COPYRIGHT HOLDERS. IP HOLDERS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOSS OF DATA, INCOME, PROFIT OR GOODWILL OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY ARISING OUT OF ANY USE OF THE MATERIALS OR PERFORMANCE OR IMPLEMENTATION OF THE CONTENTS THEREOF.
- Links to Third Party Sites. SAE is not responsible for the contents of any websites that are accessible via any link on this Site, or any changes or updates to the information contained in such sites. SAE provides the linked sites to you as a convenience and does not imply that SAE endorses the site, the organization operating such site, nor any products or services of that organization.
- Export Restrictions. You acknowledge and agree that the Materials are subject to the U.S. Export Administration Laws and Regulations. Diversion of such Materials contrary to U.S. law is prohibited. You agree that none of the Materials is being or will be acquired for, shipped, transferred, or re-exported, directly or indirectly, to proscribed or embargoed countries or their nationals, unless authorized by the U.S. Government. You agree to comply strictly with all U.S. export laws and assume sole responsibility for obtaining licenses to export or re-export as may be required.
- Confidentiality & Use of Information. Unless otherwise provided in the Terms and Conditions, any communication, comments, material or feedback with regard to contents on this Site transmitted by a user of this Site via electronic mail or otherwise shall be deemed to be non-confidential and SAE shall be free to reproduce, use, disclose and distribute the information to others without limitation. Further, SAE shall be free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in such information for any purpose whatsoever including, without limitation, publication on the Site, or other SAE publications, and developing, manufacturing, and marketing products using such information.
- Governing Law and Venue. Any action, proceeding, dispute, claim or controversy arising out of or relating to this Site or these Terms and Conditions, or any SAE products or SAE services offered on or accessed via the Site, shall (i) be governed by Pennsylvania law, without regard to its conflicts of law rules and (ii) be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Pennsylvania or of the United States District Courts located within Pennsylvania, and you hereby submit to the jurisdiction of said courts.
- Complete Agreement; Changes to the Terms and Conditions. These Terms and Conditions represent the entire understanding relating to the use of the Site and prevail over any prior or contemporaneous, conflicting or additional, communications. SAE shall have the right to revise and modify the Terms and Conditions at any time by posting the revised Terms and Conditions on the Site. Any use of the Site after such posting shall be deemed to constitute acceptance of the revised Terms and Conditions by the user.
- Trademarks. "SAE International", the SAE logo, and other SAE logos and titles are trademarks or service marks of SAE. Nothing contained in the Site should be construed as granting any license or right to use any trademark displayed on the Site without prior written permission of SAE or other trademark owners.
- Indemnification. You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless SAE, its officers, directors, employees, members, agents and affiliates from and against any claims, actions or demands, including without limitation reasonable legal and accounting fees, alleging or resulting from your breach of the Terms and Conditions, including without limitation, the Supplemental Terms.
- Termination. SAE may terminate this agreement and your access and use of the Site, or any portion of the Site, in the event of any conduct by you or through your account which SAE, in its sole discretion, considers to be unacceptable, or in the event of any breach by you of the Terms and Conditions.
Data Protection Contact
SAE is headquartered in Warrendale, PA, in the United States. You may contact SAE’s internal data protection resource if you have any questions or concerns about SAE’s policies or practices regarding Personal Data:
400 Commonwealth Drive
Warrendale, PA 15096, USA
Collection of Personal Information
A. Information You Directly and Voluntarily Provide to Us.
If you provide your Personal Data to SAE to become a member of SAE, or if you sign up to become a registered user of any website operated by SAE, you will be required to provide certain information as part of the registration process. This information will include your first and last name, email address, and business or home address. We may also request that you voluntarily provide other information, such as your phone number, year of birth, gender, demographic information, educational background, work experience, or courses or areas of study in which you may be interested and information about your company as it relates to SAE’s products, services, and your SAE membership. Membership information is used to communicate with you, to design content and activities that we believe would be of interest to you, and to ensure that SAE will not violate any applicable U.S. sanctions in providing you access to SAE’s goods and services. If you wish to opt-out of receiving these communications from us, please follow the instructions contained in an applicable communication you receive from us and submit a request.
Events and Conferences
: SAE may host events that include in-person and virtual conferences, training, knowledge sharing and webinars. If you register for a SAE event and you are an SAE member, we will access the information in your member account to provide you with information and services associated with the event. If you register for one of our events and you are not an SAE member, we will collect your first and last name, email address, business or home address, and the type of business you work for or with, which we will use to provide you with information and services associated with the event.
: We offer various publications and materials through our Sites. These publications and materials are publicly accessible and you can create an account and subscribe to receive these publications and materials. If you are not an SAE member and you create an account for this purpose, you will be required to provide certain information as part of your account registration, including your first and last name, email address, and business or home address. You may manage your SAE subscriptions by subscribing or unsubscribing at any time. If you have any difficulties managing your subscription or other preferences, please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications with SAE
: If you communicate or correspond with us by email, through postal mail, via phone or through other forms of communication, we may collect the information you provide as part of those communications. For example, if you correspond with us through email, we may collect and store the email address you use to send the applicable correspondence and use it to respond to your inquiry; to notify you of SAE conferences, publications, or other services; or to keep a record of your complaint, accommodation request, and similar purposes.
B. Information We Automatically Collect from You
We may automatically collect information about you when you use the Sites or our services. For example, if you access the Sites through a computer, we will automatically collect information such as your browser type and version, computer and connection information, IP address and standard web log information.
If you access the Sites through a mobile device, we may also be able to identify the location of your mobile device. You may choose not to share your location details with us by adjusting your mobile device’s location services settings. For instructions on changing the relevant settings, please contact your service provider or device manufacturer. The information that we automatically collect from you is used to enhance the performance of SAE’s Sites.
We may automatically collect information from you when you use the Sites using “cookies” and other similar technologies, such as web beacons. Cookies are small amounts of data that are stored within your computer’s Internet browser and that are accessed and recorded by the websites that you visit so that they can recognize the same browser navigating online at a later time. The cookies are not able to execute code or access other information stored on the computer. Web beacons are transparent pixel images that are used in collecting information about website usage, email response and tracking.
Information that may be collected by cookies when you use the Sites may include, without limitation:
This information is collected to enhance site performance and end user experience. You can set your browser to reject cookies or to notify you when you are sent a cookie. To learn more about your ability to manage cookies and web beacons, please consult the privacy features in your browser.
- the pages you visit within the Sites;
- the date and time of your visit to the Sites;
- the amount of time you spend using the Sites;
- the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; and/or
- your computer and connection information such as your browser type and version, operating system and platform.
SAE will not associate identifiers from cookies or similar technologies with sensitive identifiers about you, such as race, religion, sexual orientation or health.
C. Information Collected by Third Parties through Third-Party Links and Content.
D. Information Collected by Third-Party Analytics Services.
E. Information You Provide to Payment Processors.
All payments made to SAE are processed by a PCI-DSS compliant (these are payment card industry data security standards) payment processing service engaged by SAE. All information collected by these third-party providers for purposes of processing your payments is not available to us, unless you have otherwise provided this information to us in connection with your use of the Sites or our products and services.
F. Personal Information Provided by Third Parties.
We may receive personal information about individuals from third parties. Our third-party partners may also share your personal information with SAE when you sign up for events, training courses or other activities through the applicable partner.
Use, Sharing and Retention of Personal Information
A. How We Use Your Information.
SAE uses personal information for the purposes described at the time of collection, to provide membership benefits and other services to you, including order processing or membership applications, or registering you for events, and to otherwise process your requests or address your inquiries, and to report to others about whether you are a member or not. SAE also uses your information, as permitted by law, to provide you with information about SAE, our products and services or other products and services in which we believe you may be interested. If you are a member or registered user, we may email you about products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. If you wish to opt-out of receiving these emails from us, please follow the instructions contained in an applicable email you receive from us, which will allow you to opt-out of receiving these types of email communications from us. We may also use your personal information to tailor your experience at our Sites, to compile and display content and information that we think you might be interested in, and to provide you with content according to these preferences. SAE may also use this information to help us understand our members’ needs and interests, to better tailor our products and services to meet your needs.
B. How We Share Your Information with Third Parties.
Third-Party Service Providers. We may share your information with vendors or third parties who deliver or provide goods and services or otherwise act on behalf of or at the direction of SAE. These third parties may include, for example, our third-party technology providers and event providers and partners, product-fulfilment companies, and third-party event hosts, hotels for conference registrants, sponsors, co-sponsors and exhibitors. These third-party service providers will only have access to the information needed to perform these limited functions on our behalf. If you do not wish to have your information included in an attendee list or to receive information from sponsors, co-sponsors and/or exhibitors, you can express your preferences when you register for events or you may contact SAE directly at email@example.com.
SAE Events. If you are an event attendee, speaker, or sponsor, certain items of your information may be included in the event roster, which will be publicly disclosed, and may also be shared with third-party event sponsors and exhibitors. Further, by registering and attending a SAE event, you agree irrevocably, with no compensation to you, that SAE or any third party who is acting on SAE’s behalf may create images, videos and/or sound recordings of you (“works”) at the event for marketing purposes. This grant of rights in the works also includes the rights to adapt, reproduce, distribute, perform, make available to the public, broadcast, retransmit or sublicense the works to SAE’s affiliates. This grant of rights in the works also includes all current and future media and is not restricted to time or territory.
Response to Subpoenas, Court Orders, Government Requests or to Protect Rights and to Comply with Our Policies. To the extent permitted by law, we will disclose your information to government authorities or third parties if: (a) required to do so by law or regulation, or in response to a subpoena or court order or any other enforceable governmental request or order; (b) we believe in our sole discretion that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect against fraud, to protect the property or other rights of us or other users, third parties or the public at large; or (c) we believe that you have abused the Sites by using them to attack other systems or to gain unauthorized access to any other system, to engage in spamming or otherwise to violate applicable laws. You should be aware that, following disclosure to any third party, your information might be accessible by others to the extent permitted or required by applicable law.
C. Information for Individuals Located in the European Union.
Legal Basis for the Processing of Personal Information from European Union (EU) Residents and Citizens
If you reside within or are a citizen of the EU, our processing of your personal information will be legitimized as follows:
(i) Whenever we require your consent for the processing of your personal information such processing will be justified pursuant to Article 6(1) lit. (a) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (“GDPR”). This article in the GDPR describes when processing can be done lawfully.
(ii) If the processing of your personal data is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and SAE or for taking any pre-contractual steps upon your request, such processing will be based on GDPR Article 6(1) lit. (b).”). If this data is not processed, SAE will not be able to execute the contract with you.
(iii) Where the processing is necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation, we will process your information on basis of GDPR Article 6(1) lit. (c), for example complying in the fields of employment law.
(iv) And where the processing is necessary for the purposes of SAE’s legitimate interests, such processing will be made in accordance with GDPR Article 6(1) lit. (f), for example to detect fraud.
Transferring Personal Data from the EU to the United States of America (US):
European Union Data Subject Rights
The EU GDPR and other countries’ privacy laws provide certain rights for data subjects (these are persons that can be identified).
If you wish to confirm that SAE is processing your personal data, or to have access to the personal data SAE may have about you, or have other questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also request information about the purpose of the processing; the categories of personal data concerned; who else outside SAE might have received the data from SAE; what the source of the information was (if you did not provide it directly to SAE); where the personal data is stored and how long it will be stored. You have a right to correct (rectify) the record of your personal data maintained by SAE if it is inaccurate. You may request that SAE erase that data or cease processing it, subject to certain exceptions. You may also ask SAE for your personal data to be supplemented or updated, or for their transformation into anonymous format or to block any data held in violation of the law, as well as to oppose their treatment for any and all legitimate reasons. You may withdraw your consent for the processing of personal data or the further processing of personal data by SAE at any time. You may also request that SAE cease using your data for direct marketing purposes. In many countries (including EU countries), you have a right to lodge a complaint with the appropriate data protection authority if you have concerns about how SAE processes your personal data. When technically feasible, SAE will—at your request—provide your personal data to you or transmit it directly to another controller. You have the right to receive your personal information in a structured and standard format.
Reasonable access to your personal data will be provided at no cost to SAE members, conference attendees and others upon request made to SAE at email@example.com. If access cannot be provided within a reasonable timeframe, SAE will provide you with a date when the information will be provided. If for some reason access is denied, SAE will provide an explanation as to why access has been denied.
D. Security of Your Information.
SAE uses reasonable physical, technical and administrative measures to safeguard personal information you provide through the Sites or in connection with SAE’s products and services. Please be aware that no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, SAE cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit on or through the Sites and you do so at your own risk.
E. Data Storage and Retention.
Your personal data is stored by SAE on its servers, and on the servers of the database management services SAE engages, located in the United States. SAE retains data for the duration of the customer’s or member’s business relationship with SAE and otherwise as required under applicable law. Personal data will be kept for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which your personal data are processed. We will retain your personal data as long as you are an SAE member or require our services so that we can provide these services to you.
If you are located in or a citizen of the EU, at the moment you cancel your SAE membership or withdraw your consent for the processing of your personal information, all your personal data received and stored are erased if no longer needed by us, unless we are required to retain this personal data by law or to comply with our regulatory obligations. In such a case, we will only keep this personal data for as long as necessary. For more information on where and how long your personal data is stored, and for more information on your rights of erasure and portability, please contact our data privacy resource at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAE is a professional membership association and the Sites are not directed to children under the age of 13. SAE does not knowingly collect personally identifiable data from persons under the age of 13 (COPPA - The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act). If you are a parent of a child under 13, and you believe that your child has provided us with information about him or herself, please contact us at email@example.com.
Questions, Concerns or Complaints
SAE Content Policy & Code of Conduct
The website provided by SAE International ("SAE"), including but not limited to SAE Video and the SAE Community (collectively, "SAE Services"), is open to all points of view on intended business- and professional-related topics. Please interact with other users respectfully, as you would in any professional arena. If you disagree with the statements of another user, it is acceptable to engage in polite, mature debate. Name-calling, personal attacks, harassment, and other aggressive postings or behavior are not allowed.
Rules and Etiquette
The following content and conduct are not allowed in the SAE Services, and are cause for suspension or termination without prior notice. Your posts, uploads or other communications that include the following content or reflect prohibited conduct, as described below, may be subject to removal. By accessing or participating in the SAE Services, you understand and agree not to engage in, encourage, or otherwise support any of the following:
- Illegal or fraudulent activity or any harm to the SAE Services or it users. You agree not to engage in, promote, or advocate any illegal activity or fraudulent schemes of any kind.
- Do not submit content that you know is false, inaccurate, libelous, or otherwise misleading in any way, and do not mislead users or others regarding the origin of posted content.
- Do not submit content that contains any computer viruses, worms, or other potentially damaging computer programs or files.
- Do not intentionally impersonate or misrepresent your business or qualifications.
- Do not post or transmit material that you do not have the right to post or transmit under law (such as copyright, trade secret or securities) or due to your personal contractual or fiduciary relationships.
- Do not use the SAE Services in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair SAE's servers or networks, or interfere with any other user's use and enjoyment of the SAE Services.
- Do not attempt to gain unauthorized access to any services, screen names, computer systems or networks, through hacking, password mining or any other means. SAE reserves the right to enlist any legal and/or technical remedies necessary to prevent the violation of this provision.
- Profane, obscene, inappropriate, explicit, pornographic, and disruptive material of any kind - including masked profanity where symbols, initials, intentional misspellings, or other characters are used to suggest profane language - is strictly prohibited.
- Threats, personal attacks, abusive, defamatory, derogatory, or inflammatory language, or stalking or harassment of any individual, entity or organization is strictly prohibited.
- Discriminatory or hateful speech of any kind regarding age, gender, race, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, or disability is strictly prohibited.
- Do not to engage in any spamming or excessive posting, or submit content that is disruptive, off-topic, deliberately intended to have a negative impact on the SAE Services or its users, or otherwise interfere with the ability of others to enjoy or comfortably use the SAE Services.
- Common Courtesy, Complaints and Etiquette
- Do not post any personal or identifying information about another person, including addresses, email addresses, contact information, or phone numbers, and use care in posting your personal or identifying information.
- Maintain courtesy and follow good posting etiquette. Posting with ALL CAPS, HTML tags, or excessive typographic symbols may result in your post being removed.
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation and location.
- Do not engage in disruptive, antisocial or destructive acts, including "flaming," "spamming" and "trolling," as those terms are commonly understood.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information from which everyone can benefit.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as ‘remove me from the list.’ Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or remove yourself from a list.
- Solicitations and promotions and other commercial use
- Posting unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, chain letters, or pyramid or multi-level marketing schemes, or using automated means, including spiders, robots, crawlers, data-mining tools, or other means to download data from the SAE Services is strictly prohibited.
- Do not obtain email address of SAE Services users with the intent to contact them directly to promote your business or services without express consent and approval of the users you are contacting.
- Use caution when discussing products. Posted information is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander and antitrust laws.
- Copyright and intellectual property violations
- Infringement on any party's copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, or other proprietary rights, or right of publicity or privacy, is strictly prohibited and is the sole responsibility of the user.
- By submitting any content to the SAE Services, you warrant and represent that you are the copyright owner of the content or that the copyright owner of the content has granted you permission to use such content consistent with the manner and purpose of your use.
- Using the SAE Services to distribute unauthorized copies of copyrighted material, including photos, artwork, text, recordings, designs, computer programs, or derivative works of such programs is strictly prohibited and subject to removal.