Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Mentor program?
The Mentor program is available to any SAE member and is tailored to each mentor or mentee to the length and type of relationship desired. Mentors and mentees must first fill out a profile, and then pro-actively request mentors/mentees. See question #2 below for how to search and request a relationship.
2. How do I get started?
Mentors and mentees complete their mentoring profiles to indicate what subjects they would like mentoring in and other characteristics they are looking for. Please note that once you complete your profile, this does not mean you are matched with a mentee or mentor. You must actively search for and request a relationship.
Here is how you find mentors if you are the mentee:
- To search for a mentor, open the SAE Member Connection (connection.sae.org) and navigate to Mentoring > Mentoring Directories. Pick the desired demographics you would like your mentor to have (career stage, area of interest, sector, etc. You can also search by name and location). A list will populate containing mentors with your desired attributes.
- Once you have narrowed down the search results, we encourage you to visit the profiles of the mentors you are most interested in. On the mentor’s profile page, you will be able to send a matching request to the mentor by clicking “Send Mentor Request”.
- Complete the email request to your desired mentor and hit “send”.
- Once you have been accepted by your mentor, you will receive a confirmation email. Note: if your request has not be accepted within a few days, please send a follow-up email to your requested mentor. If needed, send an email to Amanda.Hildabrand@sae.org for additional assistance.
- Work with your new mentor on a time and date for your first meeting!
And here is how you accept a mentee request if you are the mentor:
You will receive an email to your email address and your Member Connection inbox once you have a mentee request
- From this request email, you can look at the mentee’s profile
- You will need to accept the request by visiting your Mentor Profile Page in Member Connection
- You can review your active mentor relationships at the very bottom of your Mentor Profile page
3. Does the program track my relationship?
No, nothing is officially 'tracked' inside this program, it is simply a way to bring people together and begin a relationship. Once you are matched, you take the relationship on in any format you like...you and your mentee/mentor determine your preferred communication method...for instance, phone, Skype, email, or whatever you like, to get started.