2022 Virtual Mentor Mixers
Next Mentor Chat: June 21 - 22, 2022: Career Advancement
We are going to talk about ways you can reach your career goals and advance in your company or industry. Watch this Career Counselor episode beforehand for some context. T
he SAE Mentor Experts have provided starter questions to get the conversation started on career advancement. Discussion link tbd. Submit your answers here ahead of time to add your voice to the discussion.
Live Chat: Tuesday, June 21, 1 - 2 pm ET. Register here to hear the Mentor Experts' perspectives live. This is also your opportunity to ask your questions.
Dr. Umar Zakir Abdul Hamid, Lead of Strategic Planning - China-Euro Vehicle Technology AB
- Automotive and Mobility Industries are changing - what skills are needed to keep ourselves as an attractive talent for potential employers?
- Climbing the career ladders - tips for aspiring young professionals - how to do it?
- What advice would you give to your younger self regarding career growth?
- Salary vs Growth + Learning Opportunities - which one do you prefer?
Rohit Jigjinni, Engineering Director - Faurecia
- What excites you the most about career advancement?
- What does career advancement mean to you?
- What specific hurdles do you expect on your path to career advancement?
Mark Karwowski, Chief Manufacturing Engineer - ZF Active Safety and Electronics
- What drives you?
- What defines a good leader?
- What defines a good manager?
- What is your ultimate career goal and why?
Dr. Lorrie Sivich, Defense Products Senior Engineer - Boeing Co
- As a future leader, where would you focus your energy to succeed, in technology(ies) or blend with project management, Finance areas?
- How do we mentor other engineers to better posture themselves in a dynamic world environment (restricted supply chains, COVID concerns as we grow our careers)?
- What is the right combination of skill sets, formal/ informal education and work life balance you have experienced in your career?
- In mentoring someone, why would you select a technical track over a management position in engineering?
Rebecca Vollmann, Sales Engineer – ABB/B&R Industrial Automation
- How can you frame experience on your resume to tailor it to the specific jobs you are interested in, versus something you tried and didn't enjoy all that much?
- How can you get relevant engineering experience if most internships and entry-level jobs already have a lengthy list of requirements?
- How can you become an expert in your field after you find something you're truly passionate about and want to do for the rest of your life?
- What was the most beneficial step you took to advance your professional development?
While these mixers are over, you can still go into the discussion threads to see what everyone had to say, or watch the recorded live sessions!
Fear of Public Presentations, January 25 - 26, 2022; Live Webex Chat
Conflict Management, November 16 - 17, 2021; Live Webex Chat)
Stress Management, January 28 - 29, 2021
Relationship Building and Collaboration, November 11 - 12, 2020
Women in Engineering & Effective Communication, May 7 - 8, 2020
Time Management, January 30 - 31, 2020
Generations in the Workplace, November 13 - 14, 2020
Goal Setting, July 16 - 17, 2020